This church was subject to a major restoration by Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1852-6. His clerk of works was James M. Johnson and the builder was J. J. Fast of Melton Mowbray. His work included, as well as reseating and general repairs, a new tile floor, repairing the tower and spire, removing the gallery and adding a spiral stair from the porch for access to the library instead of from the gallery. He also designed a reredos depicting scenes from the life of Mary Magdalene, gates to the chancel aisles which were put up in 1872, a sedilia and his name is inscribed on the Gilstrap memorial window in the south nave aisle which was executed by A. Gerente in 1869.