James Mitchell initially undertook the restoration of this church in 1844 but by the 1850s he had been replaced by Sir George Gilbert Scott who continued the restoration and alterations until completed in 1861. The south nave arcade was inserted to replace a large brick arch which had carried the east portion of the clerestory since 1780. The arch had been declared unsafe and Scott, calling it ‘the great blot’, replaced it with three large Gothic arches. He also rebuilt the north arcade and clerestory in 1859 in the Early English style matching that on the opposite side. The north chapel is dedicated to St. Anne and was built in 1861 by Scott for the Noble family, the owners of Danet’s Hall. He also renewed tracery in all the windows, added the south porch, repaired the roof and added four pinnacles and battlements to the tower. Both he and Mitchell replaced the box pews with Victorian ones, using surviving medieval parts where possible.