The Gilbert Scotts already had several postwar churches and unexecuted schemes to their name, individually or jointly. They generally worked in a “simplified modernistic Gothic Revival” style, which was their chosen motif for St Leonard’s Church. Giles Gilbert Scott’s proposal for the rebuilding of war-damaged Coventry Cathedral (1946–47) and his brother’s work on the St Mary and St Joseph’s Church on the Lansbury Estate in east London (1950–54), both based on a series of parabolic arches, informed their work at St Leonards-on-Sea: the design theme was used both inside and out. Adrian was principally responsible for the design, and construction began in October 1953. The building was ready to be opened for worship in April 1955, although it lacked the intended south tower: this was added in 1960–61 and the church was reopened. Adrian Gilbert Scott was apparently inspired by the unusual sea-facing site (the church is the only one on England’s south coast to have a direct, uninterrupted sea view from its entrance): he stated “no architect could wish for a more romantic or inspiring site on which to build a church”.