By 1842, Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt were becoming increasingly recognised as church architects in different parts of England. It was in Staffordshire and the adjacent counties that Scott and Moffatt were able to obtain their next phase of churches, presumably through Scott’s friendship with the Poor Law Commissioner Thomas Stevens, whom he had met when they were working on Lichfield and Belper workhouses and was now the curate of Keele in Staffordshire. In 1839, Scott and Moffatt invited tenders for a new church at Wall, which is only three miles from Steven’s headquarters at Lichfield, but it was some time before it was built. Unlike the other churches, St. John’s, Wall, is vaguely Perpendicular in style. Perhaps this was an attempt to produce something different from the ubiquitous Commissioners’ style and it may have been this work and Stevens’s High Church views which started Scott’s climb out of the abyss. It is built from dark stone, is aisle-less, has a short chancel and a thin western steeple. Wall Church was finally consecrated in 1843.