In 1865, Sir George Gilbert Scott drew up proposals to make liturgical changes to the church, including the chancel and north aisle. The scheme was later modified and carried out by Kinnear in 1867.

In 1872, Scott designed a memorial tablet to Dean Ramsay, the late minster of the church, which was placed in the south side of the chancel and made from bronze, with enamel and coloured stones by Skidmore.