Built in 1841-2 with Moffatt, St. John’s church was in the lancet style. It was a very cheap aisleless chapel, costing only £1,450, and looks it, with yellow brick dressings to the stonework and a small spire over the chancel arch. The money was raised by the Rev. Charles Bowles. Sir George Gilbert Scott was later able to hide some of the crudity of the design by the addition of gabled aisles. The mosaic flooring at the end of the chancel was made by women inmates of the former Woking prison.
Cole, D., The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott (The Architectural Press, London, 1980), p. 25.