Probably leading on from their work on St. Mary’s, Moffatt and Gilbert Scott were commissioned to design a new church in 1841, at Leenside in the southern part of the city. It was a ‘high’ church and was very big and loomed over ‘some of the worst slums in England’, but it had a fully developed chancel and the detail was much richer and more sophisticated than in Scott’s earlier works. Sir George Gilbert Scott was moving towards the aims of the Ecclesiologists. Built from Coxbench stone for a cost of £3,607, it had a bell turret and as a Commissioners Church had 802 free seats. It was destroyed during the Second World War in May 1941.

Nottingham Journal, Truman, N., ‘The Story of a Blitzed Church’, 27 December 1941.