St John the Baptist’s, Glastonbury
Sir George Gilbert Scott restored this church between 1856-60, at a cost of £3,000, including a general reseating and repairs, new floor with new tiles and thorough restoration of roof, walls, windows, arcade. He also provided a new font carved by Merrick. He also restored the bellcote which had been destroyed earlier that century. He also provided a pulpit for this church in 1877, carved by Merrick.
This school was completed in 1862-4 after the restoration of the church, which it matched in Perpendicular style. As at the church, the clerk of works and contractor, was Frederick Merrick.
St John the Baptist’s, Hatch Beauchamp
Sir George Gilbert Scott restored this church in 1867, extending the nave and aisles by one bay eastwards. He built a new north chapel which incorporated the old east window and inserted new north and south chapel windows. The coat of rough-cast which covered the whole of the walls was taken off and repaired using Langport stone and repointed. The buttresses of the tower were removed and rebuilt, and the parapets and pinnacles taken down and refixed. A new chancel arch was positioned to the east of the old arch and the gallery was removed. This cost £1500 which was raised by the parish, subscription and from W. H. P. Gore Langton esq.