Whilst Sir George Gilbert Scott was working at Exeter Cathedral he received a request from the rector, Mr Wollacombe and Mr Blackburn to restore their church. He undertook this between 1872-5. In 1872 an initial report by Baker-King was completed and the builder, Blatchford of Tavistock, appointed. The clerk of works, Vickers, stayed in the village for two years to superintend the work, travelling around north Devon and Cornwall to research details of the bench ends as well as working on other projects such as the simultaneous restoration and refitting of St Andrew’s Church in Plymouth. In 1874 a north aisle was added and a new roof was also provided. The complete set of fittings in woodwork, including: new tower screen, organ case, lectern, choir stalls, 56 bench ends, 8 panelled fronts to pews, altar rails and 6 doors, was carved by Harry Hems, assisted by Mr Dyer and Mr Moultree to Scott’s drawings which showed the details at full size.