Sir George Gilbert Scott rebuilt this church after it was destroyed by a fire, between 1867-70, essentially using the previous design of a large early perpendicular building. However he lengthened the building eastwards, included a new vestry and provided a new pulpit, reredos and font, the latter two in alabaster, the reredos carved by Farmer and Brindley. The contractor was the Dove Brothers and the total cost was £35,000, including Scott’s commission of £1,200.