The church was first surveyed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in February 1852. A general restoration of the church was carried out by Scott in 1863 although it is not clear if this was under the direction of Scott or just using his earlier findings. This included rebuilding the upper portion of the spire, adding the north and south porches and the north-east chapel, as well as fittings such as an oak altar, font and gas standards by Skidmore.