St James’s, Greenstead Green, Halstead
The church was built by Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1844-5 in a Decorated style, the exterior in coursed flint with stone dressings, with a brick octagonal tower with a spire. The interior is fitted with open seats, the stone pulpit with small figures of Christ and the four Evangelists in niches on the sides. The patron was Mrs. Gee, of Earl’s Colne. The benefice was a perpetual curacy, endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
White’s Directory of Essex, 1848, see http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/placeH/essexh03a.html
St James’s Vicarage, Halstead
At the same time, Sir George Gilbert Scott built this on the north side of the church, similarly in coursed flint with stone dressings and under the patronage of Mrs. Gee, of Earl’s Colne. It is now a private home.
The school completed the trio of buildings in 1845, with the same patron Mrs. Gee, of Earl’s Colne, and the same building style. This too is now a private house.