This church was designed and built by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1860-4, in memory of Sir Robert and Lady Williames-Vaughan of Rug, at a cost of £2,328, and for the creation of a new parish.
It is constructed of grey stone with a slate roof in early thirteenth century style, with a chancel and nave. It has a north porch, a southern vestry with a chimney, a bellcote over the chancel arch, plate tracery in the nave and triple lancet windows in the chancel. It also has lavish use of Minton tiles on the chancel floor and a reredos of Minton tiles.
The font of Caen stone was also a memorial to Lady Williames-Vaughan and Scott designed a pulpit of wood on a stone base too.