Between 1868-74, Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out some major work at this church for the rector the Rev. Renn Hampden. In 1868, he added a chancel with a new oak roof and chancel arch, following the plain design of the old building and built by Collins of Tewkesbury at a cost of £2,286. A north aisle was added and the nave was restored by Perkins from Worcester in 1869 and then the rest of the building was restored and refitted including re-seating it under the supervision of Perkins.