Sir George Gilbert Scott restored this church, St James’s, in 1865-9, it becoming a cathedral in 1914. He rebuilt the chancel with side chapels and gave the nave a new hammerbeam roof, altering the west front gable to fit it in and also adding pinnacles to it. He also designed a mosaic in the chancel which was made by Salviati. Scott’s chancel was demolished in around 1960 to fit a new choir. He also provided a new pulpit made by Kett and a font which was placed on a medieval shaft and now has a twentieth century canopy.