In 1860, Sir George Gilbert Scott completed designs for the restoration of this church for Mrs Charlotte Traherne, in conjunction with her son Rev. J. M. Traherne, as a memorial to her husband.
The work was carried out between 1861-2, the builders James and Price of Cardiff. Scott inserted large windows throughout, added a south porch and a chancel window, and renewed roofs.
He also provided new fittings including a pulpit, reading desk, elaborately carved pews and corona chandelier.