St Giles, Tydd St Giles
The restoration of the church was instigated by Sir George Gilbert Scott’s older brother John, who was the rector until he was appointed to Wisbech in 1867. It was planned by Scott but actually carried out between 1868-9 by George Gilbert junior, his son, and John’s successor as rector. The whole church was refloored and re-seated, the nave re-roofed, screens provided for the vestries, and the musicians’ gallery at the west end taken down. The eighteenth century chancel was removed and a new geometric east window installed.
Rectory, Tydd St Giles
In 1868, at the same time as working on the church, Sir George Gilbert Scott also designed a rectory for his brother, in a gothic style, constructed from red brick with a slate roof.
School, Tydd St Giles
The school building, the first built in the village, was erected opposite the church in 1866 at the instance of Canon John Scott who collected monies for the purpose and himself contributed £150; the National Society made a grant of £70. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott and when it opened, educated over a hundred children.