In 1877 Sir George Gilbert Scott started to restore Woodbastwick Church, some seven miles north-east of Norwich, for A. Cator, patron of the church. He had sketched it in 1876. The west tower pinnacles and battlements were renewed and the tower rebuilt. The interior was refitted, the sanctuary marked off by a pair of posts and the windows renewed. He died before the work, which cost around £5,000, was completed.