Sir George Gilbert Scott was in charge of the restoration at this church during the early 1850s, succeeding his friend Benjamin Ferry and preceding William Butterfield, who took over in 1871. His work included designing a font in 1854, which incorporated the stem of another  font and Perpendicular fragments, and a reredos in 1852, with statues by Birnie Philip in 1852.