St Deniol’s is a 1857 church known as the burial place of 19th century politician William Gladstone, whose Arts and Crafts marble monument dominates the Gladstone Memorial Chapel. There is a stained glass window by Burne-Jones dated 1898.
There was a church at Hawarden since at least the 6th century, though the first record of a rector comes from 1180. The Norman church was restored in 1855, but just 2 years later it was badly damaged in an arson attack. The church was restored again by Sir George Gilbert Scott, who managed to salvage some of the woodwork and stained glass. A porch was added in 1896, blending perfectly with the older structure, and from 1901 a memorial chapel for William Gladstone was added.