Sir George Gilbert Scott made plans to restore this church in 1876, although they were initially rejected by the Incorporated Church Building Society for a grant. Scott carried out a ‘thorough’ restoration here for the Hon. W. O. Stanley, of Penrhos, Holyhead. Stanley’s conditions for contributing £4,000 of the estimated £6,000 cost included the restoration of the chancel according to his plans in consultation with Scott and the continuation of services in English. This was accepted if the church was free except for the Penrhos pew. Scott’s work included a new nave roof, repaving the chancel, a cap on the external turret, other repairs and a reseating. The work continued until 1879 after his death.
Anglesey County Record Office, WD 7/160.