Sir George Gilbert Scott restored this church in 1874-5, building on earlier restorations in 1854-5 paid for by Thomas Salt and carried out by Henry Ward, a Stafford architect. When Salt died, it was decided to restore the nave as a memorial to him and Scott was called in. He opened up the nave arcade on the south side, reconstructed the south aisle, added a vestry and the built the present west front. The statue of St. Chad in the gable over the west window was Scott’s own gift to the church, possibly a personal tribute to Thomas Salt, whom he had known during his restoration of St Mary’s, Stafford.