John Oldrid Scott designed over twenty churches during his architectural career. He was the son of Sir George Gilbert Scott and the nephew of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. His family name came with much expectation, but John delivered in his masterful work.
His best work is undoubtedly the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Western Europe, St Sophia, which is in the Byzantine style. But let’s not forget about his smaller works.
St Bartholomew’s Church is one such case. The church stands on a site steeped in history. It is, in fact, the third church on the site. The second church on the site, designed in neo-classical style and built in 1711, was in a bad state of repair by the late 1800s.
In 1877, it was decided that it should be replaced. John Oldrid Scott was commissioned to design the replacement church in an Early English style, on a budget of £5,000 at the expense of James Chadwick of Hints Hall. The congregation was only small, and Scott had a footprint roughly the same size as the old church to work with.
The church is designed in Early English style, or English Gothic. It is built from yellow sandstone with red sandstone dressings. It has a south porch and north vestry, and a nave of three bays. The chancel has a stocky buttress. The windows are stained glass and depict various religious figures. Inside, the church is functional but stylish. The nave has a trussed rafter roof and the pulpit is set onto marble columns.