Sir George Gilbert Scott restored and refitted the church between 1872-5. He actually took over the restoration started by Hine and Norman, with Godwin, who had won a competition to build new council offices and a Guildhall with the existing church at the centre of their layout. Scott’s work included removing the galleries in the transepts, the vestry was replaced on the south side, the floor levelled, gables added to the north chapel and the windows in the roof closed. He also provided fittings including new bench seating, an octagonal font of Beer stone by Hems, a reredos, a lectern of carved oak, ironwork by Potter and an east window by Burlinson and Grylls. The cost was £6,000 and Scott’s assistant was N. Vickers, his contractor John Finch. The church was gutted during the Blitz of 1940-1 and all the fittings destroyed.