Restoration of the transepts, crossing, and chancel was undertaken in this church from 1871 to 1875. Scott treated the transepts gently but the chancel was heavily restored. He rebuilt the east bay in its original position, incorporating stonework recovered from Madingley Hall in 1874, which was presumed to have been taken there from St. Etheldreda’s, a once neighbouring church that had been demolished in the eighteenth century.