Sir George Gilbert Scott built the church in 1866-7 with Thirteenth century detailing and an apsidal chancel. He added a screen in around 1878 for his brother the Rev. Meville Horne Scott (Archdeacon of Stafford and Residentiary Canon of Lichfield), the £25 cost received by his executors. A north-west tower and broach spire was added in 1881 after his death. Known as the railwaymen’s church due to its location in Litchurch, it was demolished in 1970 and replaced by St Andrew’s House, an office block.
Parts of the reredos in St Andrew’s Church were carved in Chellaston alabaster and, according to the Rev. R. L. Farmer, Scott visited the nearby Chellaston quarries and encouraged new undertakings in alabaster.