Sir George Gilbert Scott first reported on this church in 1863 and carried out work on the nave between 1864-6. He carried out further work on the south nave and aisle between 1876-9, rebuilding columns between the south nave and south aisle and the east wall, with a new nave arcade of quatrefoil piers replacing columns dating from 1699. Edwards was the contractor in 1876.