Sir George Gilbert Scott worked up a design for a monument to Viscountess Canning, from an design drawn by Lady Waterford. It was of white marble inlaid with coloured marble and built in 1864-5. However, the Italian marble could not cope with the excessive damp of the Calcutta climate so it was moved to St Paul’s Cathedral, Calcutta. An Indian white marble replica was placed over the grave. The monument was later moved again to St John’s Church, Calcutta.
The Builder, 1864, p. 953.
Trumble , A., ‘Gilbert Scott’s ‘Bold and Beautiful Experiment’, Part II: The Tomb of Charlotte, Lady Canning’, The Burlington Magazine, Vol. 142, No. 1162 (Jan., 2000), pp. 20-28.