His father, James Medland 1808-96, was also an architect and he was first articled to him in Gloucester. Between 1862-78, he worked as an assistant in Scott’s office and was active in the formation of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club in 1866 and was a member between 1878-90. Between 1873-7, he was sub-architect for All Souls Chapel. After Scott’s death, he commenced his own practice, then going into partnership with his father.