Between 1857-64, Sir George Gilbert Scott worked for Thomas James Agar-Robartes (1808-82) then M.P. for East Cornwall, later made 1st Baron Robartes in 1869, to modernise and remodelled his house at Lanhydrock. This included building a low battlemented wall connecting the gatehouse to the house, laying out terraces and formal flowerbeds, and adding a coach house, stables and grooms’ quarters to the south-east. The house was later largely gutted by fire and Scott’s assistant on his previous work, Richard Coad, rebuilt and extended the house from 1881.