In 1847, the people of Cheshire decided to raise a monument to commemorate Francis Egerton (1810-1845), who had died in India as a result of wounds that he had received in action in 1845. Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt were commissioned to carry out the work and monument was placed just inside the gates of Oulton Park, the Grey-Egerton family home in Cheshire. It is a slender version of the Martyrs’ Memorial, but square on plan and in white stone. At the lowest level is a sculptured panel depicting Egerton’s last heroic action and at the higher level, are mourning figures on the four corners. The park is now a motor racing circuit with Scott’s Gothic memorial providing an attractive foil to its twenty-first century surroundings.