This church was designed and built by Scott in 1851-4 as a chapel of ease, to the east of the town, for the parish of St Andrew. In Early English Geometric style, it was a large cruciform church built from grey stone in brick-like units with a central ornate crossing tower. It had circular clerestory windows and cost under £7,250 to complete. Sir George Gilbert Scott seemed happy enough to design new churches with towers over the crossing where he could ensure adequate support for the tower; it was old buildings with this layout that Scott tried, not always successfully, to avoid. Subject to further work in 1883 by Bodley when the tower needed underpinning, it was demolished in 1983.