Sir George Gilbert Scott started an interior restoration at this church in 1854, removing galleries, pews and organs. He placed new paving in the sanctuary, provided central heating and removed the floor of the ringing chamber in the tower in 1855 to reveal the vaulting. The bells were hung in a free standing belfry, demolished in around 1970. He also reseated and refitted the church, providing new lighting, the restoration completed in 1856. Scott designed a reredos for the church in 1873.