This was essentially a rebuilding of a church on the site of an older church, carried out with Moffatt between 1839-42. It was built in local stone with a slate roof, in Early English style, for Lord Grosvenor, the same type as St Mark’s, Moseley, Birmingham. It has a stark interior, possibly due the Church Commissioners influence, but externally it is a substantial design with a west tower, lancets in pairs or triplets, aisles and minor transepts. The tower is a grand structure, which can be seen for miles around, a chancel was added in 1908. Presumably these two churches were obtained by competition, as the partners had few connections in either Dorset or Birmingham.
Pevsner, N., and Newan, J., Dorset, Buildings of England (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, 1972), pp. 362, 364.