Sir George Gilbert Scott originally carried out a report on the restoration of this church in 1851, submitting an estimate of £4,000 for the work needed, after the tower had been struck by lightning. The initial restoration was undertaken between 1860-9 and later work was continued by his son, John Oldrid Scott from 1879. The first restoration included a new east end with other parts also rebuilt, including the outer walls, a new north aisle, with a general re-roofing and reseating. Pews and galleries were removed, the round part of the roof re-roofed and pillars restored. Scott’s Drawings Collection (RIBA) contains one of the chancel roof (63 a).