Between 1865-6, Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out restorations and additions to this church for Rev. Edward Ryley. Scott had been to the church as a boy when he attended his uncle`s preparatory school at Latimer. Originally the church was a Greek Cross plan but side aisles were added to accommodate 75 seats from the removed gallery and the church was reseated to accommodate 216. Walls were underpinned, the plaster ceiling removed to expose the timber roof, the chancel floor was raised and a new vestry and porch added all for the cost of £1,400. He also provided a new font on an old pedestal, an altar, reading desk and based the new pews on late Medieval surviving ones in the north transept.