Sir George Gilbert Scott undertook a major restoration at this church in 1855-6. This included inserting lancet windows into the east wall, adding a north arcade and chancel arch, as well as a saddleback top to the tower. He also provided new fittings including an alabaster reredos with marble shafts, rood screen, and screen on the south side of chancel with elaborate casting and colour made by Skidmore of Coventry. He provided brass lighting standards and the chancel stalls as well.