Alterations were commissioned by Sir George Stucley in the mid-1800s and he engaged Sir George Gilbert Scott to remodel the house making a formal entrance through a new porch on the north end. Two bay windows were installed on the east frontage. Internally, the drawing room and dining rooms were given wall panelling in Elizabethan or linenfold style, along with a series of painted murals by Alfred Beer of Exeter around the walls depicting events in English and Irish history. The main passage was decorated in an Alhambra Palace style. Richard Coad was Scott’s supervising architect and the contractor was Pulsman of Barnstaple. In 1862 Scott was commissioned to rebuild the north end of the house in Gothic style.