Garner came from Wasperton Hill, south of Warwick, where Scott had restored the church in 1843, and entered Scott’s office in 1856, a contemporary of Jackson. It was during Garner’s pupilage that Scott started on the reconstruction of nearby Walton Hall for Sir Charles Mordaunt. After leaving Scott, he worked in Warwickshire on his own before entering into partnership with Bodley in 1869. This lasted until 1898 when he became a Roman Catholic. He was an honorary member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1866-90.