Farmer and Brindley, 1850-1937
The firm was established in 1850 by William Joseph Brindley and William Farmer, based at 67, Westminster Bridge Road. They were one of Sir Gilbert Scott’s favourite carvers and their work for him included:
- 1864-9, stone carving for St John’s Chapel, Cambridge.
- 1875, reredos for Bridlington Priory.
- 1872, choir stalls for Bangor Cathedral.
- 1878-9, choir stalls for Canterbury Cathedral.
- Woodwork for Worcester Cathedral; 1870.
- Choir stalls Gloucester Cathedral as well as the reredos 1873 and font 1878.
- 1861-3, pulpit, St Nicholas, Hamburg; 1869-70.
- Carving at Highclere Church; 1869-70.
- Screen and organ screen, Chester Cathedral; 1874.
- Paving at Durham Cathedral; 1873-6 work at Exeter Cathedral.
- 1879, pulpit, St John’s, Halifax.
- 1864-8, carving on the Albert Memorial.
- 1876-80, reredos, All Souls, Leeds, as the Hooke memorial.
- 1859-61, stone carving Kelham Hall.
Brindley also made a model of the Albert Memorial in 1863 as well as carrying out carving at Wellington College Chapel and Preston Town Hall. He was elected a member of the Spring Gardens Sketching Club from 1873-90.