A statue of Thomas Clarkson (1760-1846), an anti-slave campaigner, was proposed in 1875 and designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. It was erected between 1880-1, facing the river opposite St Mary’s Church next to the house where Clarkson lived. Seventy feet high, it is a canopied statue and its erection was supervised by John Oldrid in continuance of Scott’s practice.