In 1906 the building was purchased by Downside Abbey for use as a church. Since its auction in 1886 the barn had been used as a kennels, a stable and even a chicken house and was by now in a very poor state. Abbot Edmund Ford engaged the services of the architect Giles Gilbert Scott to plan restoration and conversion of the building. In addition to restoring the splendid timber roof and timbers, Scott made several structural changes to the building, including new doorways and a new gothic style window in the south wall, the tracery for which was copied from that of a room above the porch.
The barn was blessed as a church on 17 May 1913.