Christ Church, Southgate was designed by George Gilbert Scott in 1861-3.
Ironically, this building is immediately recognisable as Sir G.G. by its totally self-effacing nature. All is neat and “correct”, in both style and ecclesiological principles. In the early ’40s it would have had pointless transepts, tiny sanctuary and galleries, and felt paper-thin. Some may bemoan how this building was plopped out of the Scott office probably by an assistant under the strict training of the master, but that’s not really all that different to how things were produced in the Middle Ages.
The north-west steeple with broach spire acts as the main entrance. The most distinctive idea is aisle window gables projecting above the roof-line. Behind the cricket pitch over the road, it is pretty as a picture. Curiously slim quatrefoil piers for the arcade inside, and the simplest of Gothic clerestories. The chancel’s windows and arcades have faux-marble shafting. There’s no big surprises here.
The building provides a simulcrum of the medieval church Southgate wished it had, and, as a medieval church, it is as a sacred vessel for artistic contributions that it holds value today. The chancel received a reredos with a Salviati mosaic soon after it was built. However, most notable are the windows by Morris and Co., who glazed the windows from the start of their firm through to their later period. Such were the S.P.A.B. ethics of its founder, the company rarely glazed medieval buildings, so something like this was the ideal venue.