Sir George Gilbert Scott returned from Italy in time for the consecration of Christ Church, Swindon in November 1851. This was the last of the four buildings that he built in Swindon and is about one mile north-east of St. Mark’s and close to the market square of the old town. It is dramatically perched on the side of a hill, with Scott’s broach spire visible for miles around. He had sketched the site in 1847 but work was not started until June 1850. It is in a slightly earlier, and less ornate style, than St. Mark’s and handled with a robust confidence lacking in the earlier building. Unlike St. Mark’s, it has a west tower, transepts and, of course, a fully developed chancel. Scott now had the confidence to design with the elements of English architecture to suit the special needs of each building.