gilbertscott.org

View Original

Pauper Lunatic Asylum, Wells

The partners were successful in a competition, held in 1844, for the Somerset Pauper Lunatic Asylum at Wells. Sir George Gilbert Scott and Moffatt were announced the winners in 1845, and it was built by 1848. The buildings have been converted into housing from 1994.

Harper, R. H., Victorian Architectural Competitions, An Index to British and Irish Architectural Competitions in The Builder 1843-1900 (Mansell, London, 1983), p. 168. http://www.grahambuildinganddevelopments.com/grahambuildinganddevelopments_006.htm