Sir George Gilbert Scott drew up plans for the restoration of this church for Mr Atkinson, the churchwarden, completing five drawings for it in 1867. However, Scott’s plans and specifications were ‘pirated’ and the restoration was carried out but not under his superintendence, the church re-opening in 1872. John Oldrid must have visited the site as he wrote to Irvine from there in a letter dated 16 November 1870, but Scott’s work is not apparent. The fees of £42 were also never paid.
Scott’s Drawings Collection, p. 76 (b), RIBA.
Royal Commission for Historic Monuments (S).
Scott’s Office Ledger 1875-1914, p. 95, RIBA.