In 1850, the church was ‘completely’ restored including new seating throughout, a new chancel ceiling, paving in the nave and chancel renewed, the north porch rebuilt, upper parts of the chancel screen, the timber lectern and alter rails replaced and the exterior windows were re-cut. The rood loft was also removed, against Sir George Gilbert Scott’s wishes, inspired by the Bishop of Oxford’s address to the local Archaeological Society. The restoration cost £1,476.