In 1862, the Countess of Ripon commissioned Sir George Gilbert Scott to build this church in memory of the first Earl, her husband, on their estate at Nocton, near Lincoln. This was completed in 1863 in an elaborate Early English style in Ancaster stone, with plate tracery and a 130 foot steeple. The builder was Mr W Hudleston. Scott also designed a monument to the Earl in 1859, the effigy by Noble in 1862, executed by Farmer, to go in the completed church.
In the village, Scott designed terraces of partly three storey stone houses (for example, 18-21 Main Road) in an asymmetrical style, a lodge to Nocton Hall, and a Gothic style school. Her son, the new Marquis of Ripon, who became Lord President of the Council during Gladstone’s first administration (1868–73), would have further dealings with Scott.
Pevsner, N., Harris, J. and Antram, N., Lincolnshire, Buildings of England (Penguin Books, London, 1989), pp. 577-8.
Scott’s Recollections, IV 17-18.