This church was designed and built by Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1862-4 for Louisa Ryland, whose family were Birmingham industrialists, at a cost of £20,000. It is a lavish building, stone faced, in late Early English style. It has a high thin spire in the north-west corner and cinque-foil windows in the clerestory. It has carving by Brindley and shafts of green and red marble. The stained glass is by Clayton and Bell, the Ryland Chapel by Hardman. The clerk of works was Alfred Roome, the sub-architect, Thomas Garner, originally from Warwickshire, who had been articled to Scott from 1856. He later went into partnership with Bodley.