Sir George Gilbert Scott was first commissioned to build this church in 1867 but his initial plans were rejected. His next attempt, in an ornate second pointed style, was accepted and the cornerstone laid in 1869. Described as a very large and ‘majestic’ church by Betjeman, the north porch was a memorial to Prince Albert, donated by the Royal Victoria Yacht Club. The chancel wall paintings were by Clayton and Bell and the general contractor was Jackson and Shaw. It was consecrated in 1872. Scott designed the fittings which included a pulpit of Derbyshire alabaster on polished marble columns from around 1870, a reredos and iron screens. The flanking tower and spire were designed by his son John Oldrid Scott in 1882.